[gmpi] Re: Reqs TODO

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:30:41 -0800

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 08:24:04PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> Answers?...
>
> >do events REALLY need 64 bit timestamps? 32 bit offsets is probably faster.
> Or is it not endorsed, but not worth fighting against?

Sorry, this should be clearer - I meant 32 bit timestamps on events. As
offsets.  The main counter is almost certainly 64 bits.  But do events need
to be 64 bit absolute timestamped, or is 32 bit offsets better?

If events are timestamped with absolute times, rather than offsets, it is
possible to deliver events FAR in advance, and just have them sit on the
event queue (sorted).  Is this desirable?  Do we want to prevent this?

Basically, I want people to reconsider the need for absolute timestamps in
events.  If it is all cost with no benefit, why NOT do offsets?