[gmpi] Reqs TODO

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:00:43 -0800

Hey all, I'm aslking for your help.  The requirements doc is a draft, still.
Here is my TODO list and some thoughts.

1) Fix all the FIXMEs.  All that is in red in that doc needs to be decided
before I can consider it done.

2) Are we missing requirements?  Think hard people.  I know there are things
that we have talked about that people want to see in GMPI that are not
covered in this doc.

(digging through old emails)

- We bookmarked a whole discussion on event queues and routing
- Do we need to build something in so we can add audio-rate controls later?
- Do we need language about spontaneus parameter changes being announced?
- The XMF folk were leaning on me hard to get a standardized GMPI file
  format for broadcasts
- How about pitch issues (this was a big debate for XAP)
  - how do we identify which note was turned on for an instrument?
  - is GMPI 12tET, or can we do microtonal stuff?
- Do we need more text about the VVIDs concept?  XAP people?
- Are numeric (int/float/enum) parameters hard ranges or suggested ranges?
  - do we need to provide some way to allow soft-ranges?
- There was an email discussion on latent plugins hinting that they  should
  receive their events early
- There was a discussion about DSP cards with audio latency, but no control
  latency.
- There was a discussion about a lock/unlock or start/end command pair to
  indicate a parameter change was released (like mouse down/up)
- A string param that is a filename might need metadata to indicate the
  search mask (*.wav, etc.) or whether the associated file is part of the
  project (so the host can bundle up associated files automatically).  Maybe
  filename needs to be a fundamental parameter datatype?
- Maybe add a note about the fact that a numeric param may be linear or log?