[gmpi] Re: Reqs TODO

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:19:37 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 8:43 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Reqs TODO

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:46:38AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > Optional sample type via header file?, YES.  Will allow integer types as
> > well (yes, integer sample format has been requested several times by
several
> > people on this list, can't ignore it).
>
> > My host for example will support 32 bit float and nothing else. Yours?,
> > that's up to you, if you wish to provide 64bit, call it a competitive
> > advantage.
>
> So your host won't handle some plugins.  We're back to square one.
>
> One of the MAJOR goals of GMPI as I see it is the knowledge that a plugin
> coder does not need to 'handle' different hosts.

personnaly i think that float64 makes no sens to transport signal , this
make sens for parameters and internal memory sometimes, but this can be
taken in charge by the plug-in without notifying to host...

if you want anyway support 64bit float for signal streaming,  i prefer
really to consider it as a parameter (like the samplerate for example) . If
the plug-in cannot support it , the host could take care about conversion,
and if the host cannot deal with 32bit float or the opposite, so never
mind... If the plug-in want to be fully compatible , it has to provide 2
functions , one for float32, one for float64... i prefer to do that than to
recompile plug-in with 64bit float.

About the samplerate, it's important to define no high limit.

VB