[gmpi] Re: Reqs TODO

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:03:55 -0800 (PST)

> > It just seems to me that by the time i've allocated more memory,
> > extended the timestamp to 64bit, added the block_start_clock (queried
> > from the host via a plain-C to C++ thunk), it would have been more
> > efficient to just be given a 64bit timestamp in the first place?
> >
> > What do you all think.
>
> I'd vote for 64-bit everywhere.

Me too.  In fact, I even would like to see us just agree on 64-bit float
for audio data, too, though I think that that's less likely something that
other folks will go for.  Not too far down the line, I'm sure that you'll
regret that, but oh well...

But at least for event/time stuff, the performance cost of 64-bit is
trivial, and given that there are at least some reasons why it's already
obviously beneficial in some contexts, I just think that we should go for
it all the way.  I'm sure that, by the time GMPI actually becomes a
reality, people will look back and think, "I can't believe we spent time
debating that, why would anyone want to argue against 64-bit?"

Marc

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/