[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:46:28 +0000

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 08:35:31AM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> 1) Multiple datatypes is NOT that much complexity, if done right, and will
> be a plus for odd users, marketing, and future-proofing.  Adding double IO
> support is trivial.  We can be the first API to market that supports
> double-precision IO (even if no host does it :).

1) It actually adds a lot of complexity - its 2^n more code paths that
   have to be tested in every host (or plugin) implementation, hard to
   debug, very hard to conformance-test. Tiny little things like slight
   disagreements in level smeantics will mess things up dramatically.
   "This plugin sounds bad, but only if I use plugin X just before it"
   type stuff - no thanks.

2) It has the potential to make things slower - if the host has to step in
   occasionally and convert between different datatypes thats another loop of
   code to be paged in, cache damage, and the host cant do simple buffer
   passing tricks to get audio between plugins.

3) WHY? No-one has come up with a single good argument why one host would
   want to support plugins with two different datatypes.

- Steve, "Wont somebody think of the programmers!" ;)