[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:03:03 +0100

On Thursday 11 December 2003 17.29, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Normally, yes, but unless we actively prevent it, people could load
> integer plugins into float hosts and vice versa, resulting in
> "mysterious" crashes. <<<
>
> People would only load whatever plugins into the host that the host
> allows. If plugins have profiles (in meta-data) and way to
> enumerate them, then I can't imagine a case where a host wouldn't
> know exactly what kind of plugin it was instantiating.  If we're
> worried about that, we could make the API require the host to pass
> in a kind of profile identifier when creating a plugin of a
> particular profile.  That way, if the host wants floats, and tries
> to create an int with a float "cookie", the int will fail to load.

Yeah, something like that. I just want something like this in the
requirements, so we don't end up with multiple binary "compatible"
profiles and no way to tell them apart at run time.

As to DSP based plugins and stuff like that (ie plugins that bypass
the host's connection system), that was concluded earlier to be a
separate issue, right? (Plugin private business; GMPI has to provide
some way for plugins to take over when connections are made to
"friends" under certain circumstances.)

BTW, one could "abuse" that feature to optimize the connections
between related native plugins. For example, when some FFT based
plugins are chained, they could eliminate frequency->time->frequency
where appropriate. That is, when they see local friends, they can
bypass the host and transmit FFT buffers instead of time domain audio
buffers. Or integer audio buffers, or whatever...