[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:04:08 -0500

  IF we support float and int at the host, it is possible to chain plugins
  which use the same type WITHOUT converting back and forth and back and
  forth.
<<<

This is huge.  It allows a GMPI plugin that is running as a DSP proxy to
keep its sample buffers on the DSP, and not "upload" them to the host at
each step.

> and you know what? if digi don't like it, what's new? they haven't
> participated in this process, they are exclusionary toward every other
> vendor in the niche, and they are the most guilty of anyone of
> marketing BS relating to DSP and audio software. they want to insist
> on fixed point plugins, or else they won't play? this is intended to
> be an industry standard plugin format, with *some* resources behind it
> as far as marketing goes (when the time comes). it will not be
> difficult to explain that some members of the industry have chosen not
> to go along with the GMPI development process, and that consumers
> should make what they want of that.

I agree with that paragraph TOTALLY.
<<<

I don't agree with this line of thinking.  We're all adults here: Digi has a
hugely successful business built on TDM.  Of course they aren't going to
drop what they're doing and join us, they are too busy making money.  But
that doesn't mean we should un-invite them from all this out of spite.  As a
body defining a standard, we should be thinking about being inclusive, even
for companies that aren't on board yet today.  The ultimate success of this
will be not only how "clean" it is technically, but how easy that migration
path is for late comers.