[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:19:18 -0800

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:06:38PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > Do you mean EACH plugin or ALL plugins?
>
> Some people would write int plugins, others float plugins.
>
> Most hosts will support one type only.  e.g. a PC application might support
> float only.  A DSP card might support int plugins.  A research project might
> use double plugins.

So we're back to the place where a bunch of plugins don't work in some
hosts, and coders need to provide three different plugin flavors to reach
all the potential customers.

We don't want to force people to build float/double/int version of their
algorithms, do we?

If we support more than one type AT ALL, it needs to be strongly reccomended
that all hosts support all types, and convert to/from the host's native
format.  And we need to provide a simple conversion API that can grow.