[gmpi] Re: 3.9 (draft) use cases and stuff

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:23:44 -0500

>I don't get what it means to locate on something that does not have a known
>endpoint.

this is easy, but ...

>Or more concisely how on earth do you draw a GUI widget for it?

this is an entirely separate problem and shouldn't be conflated with
the first sentence.

>When you play an MP3 in <your favorite mp3 player> you get a position
>indicator.  If you want to jump to approximately halfway through the
>project, you can drag the location indicator to about halfway through the
>widget, right?

2nd, totally different problem. not the same as the first. read on.

>Now translate that to a GMPI host.  In order to have anything that indicates
>"current position" relative to the project needs to know the total length.

absolutely not. when i jump to a position, i will *never* expect to
say "jump to 50% of the way through". i will *always* jump to an
absolute frame position, which may (or may not) correspond to some
relative fraction of a total length.

but whether it does or not is irrelevant to the receivers of the
locate command. they just go to where i told them to go.

>Assuming you haven't balked already: how does that locator GUI widget know
>where to draw the indicator?  It needs to know the length of <something>
>which defines the end.  If there are multiple sequencer modules, there needs

Why are you worrying about this? Everything that has a beginning has
an end. Even terrible movie trilogies :) Things that don't have their
own beginning don't care about what frame N means relative to an end
that they do not have - they just locate to frame N.

Things that *do* have a beginning and an end understand exactly how
frame N relates to both positions. Such things may or may not have
GUIs with start/end positional indicators.

--p