[gmpi] Re: 3.9 (draft) use cases and stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:50:04 -0800

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:18:05PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >If the host had multiple sequencer plugins, each with a diffeent sequence
> >length, this behavior would not be possible.
>
> but this is by definition impossible: if there are N different
> possible lengths, there clearly can be no single answer to the
> question of what "halfway" means. there's no magic here, and its
> nothing to do with GMPI - you're describing a possibility that does
> not exist.

Not at all.  All sequencer plugins start at 0 and have data (or gaps between
data, which really is data) for some length, right?  Wav players have a
single hunk of PCM data or maybe they have multiple hunks spaced outwith
some alignment.  But eventually they end.

If you convert the total sequence time of each sequencer to a common format
(samples works well :) and line them all up at the left (since they all
start at zero) then your project absolutely DOES have a known length.  It's
the sequence length of the longest sequencer plugin.

> as i said above, if there are multiple lengths, there clearly can be
> no single such controller. by definition, not because we are not

There can be - if we provide some way to know how long a sequence is.

Or we can simplify the whole mess by saying this use case is not supported.

Or we can simplify it even more by not supporting sequencer plugins, and
assuming that the host is the sequencer.  This is maybe not such an
unreasonable position.