[gmpi] Re: 3.9 (draft) use cases and stuff

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:41:05 -0800

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:23:44PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I don't get what it means to locate on something that does not have a known
> >endpoint.
>
> this is easy, but ...

enlighten me?

> >Now translate that to a GMPI host.  In order to have anything that indicates
> >"current position" relative to the project needs to know the total length.
>
> absolutely not. when i jump to a position, i will *never* expect to
> say "jump to 50% of the way through". i will *always* jump to an
> absolute frame position, which may (or may not) correspond to some
> relative fraction of a total length.

I'm just working through a pretend implementation of my familiar environment
in a totally modular GMPI way.  One thing I see is this "progress bar"
widget, and if I click in the middle of it, the playback jumps to about 50%
of the way through the track.  It can do this because the sequencer is only
one, and part of the host.

If the host had multiple sequencer plugins, each with a diffeent sequence
length, this behavior would not be possible.

> but whether it does or not is irrelevant to the receivers of the
> locate command. they just go to where i told them to go.

Of course not to the receivers.  But if there is a locate controller
independant of the sequencers, it needs to have a view of the global
"length" of the project.

> Why are you worrying about this? Everything that has a beginning has

Just thinking how to recreate what I see every day in this pathological GMPI
modular way.  It's my thought experiment.

> Things that *do* have a beginning and an end understand exactly how
> frame N relates to both positions. Such things may or may not have
> GUIs with start/end positional indicators.

I am referring to ONE locator GUI widget that controls ALL the sequencers.
Now, maybe that is just not doable, and we'll call it unsupported.  I hope
not, but I could cope.

--
Tim Hockin
thockin@xxxxxxxxxx