[gmpi] Re: 3.9 (draft) use cases and stuff

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:11:02 +0100

On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 1:33 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Mike Berry <xxxmberry@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After reading this, I wanted to point out that simply because we choose
> to not allow something to be done using a GMPI plugin does not mean that
> we are holding back the development of cool new music technology. You
> can always write a host.

To give an example of where the "holding back the development of cool new
music technology" does happen sometimes: I am currently working on a plugin
that analyzes audio and sends out MIDI back to the host for delivery to a
MIDI synth using the VST interface, and even this (for me crucial) thing is
not always supported. And then there you are with your *working* idea. Can I
change the hosts where it doesn't work? No. Do I have the resources to
develop a host to allow this? No. I just want this (to me, basic)
functionality available in all hosts (well at least all audio/MIDI
sequencers), not just a specific one, so that I can plugin basic
functionality.

I do realize that some things will belong in the host itself, but I think
this is shifting and users would really appreciate it that some
functionality works in all their hosts (preferably in a similar way), and a
generalized music plugin interface seems like a nice way to reassure that.

Now, I realize that the thing I mentioned is probably not (yet) something of
this category though, I can understand that. So enough said, I'll forget
about it :-)

By the way: I never said *I* would be able to make a system like that
*myself* (that's not the issue as we're dealing with use cases), just that
it is existing functionality I have seen that I think could be incorporated
in modern applications *in a general way* (hence the need to do it as
plugin).
But I might be wrong about that. I probably am.

> I do not intend for this to sound flip. Things
> that are on the cutting edge in lots of cases are not ready to be
> plugins. They contain behavioral requirements that are outside of the
> range of hosts. Just like there are some things that simply can't be
> done well without altering the kernel.

Sounds fair enough for now, OK.

Koen