[gmpi] Re: 3.9 (draft) use cases and stuff

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:15:14 -0500

This is great, Tim.  You are showing incredible tenacity on driving this
discussion home, I really appreciate it.   I've been reading the thread
and trying to get my head around it, but work commitments have reared up
this week so I've been unable to respond with my full attention.

* It is REQUIRED that GMPI allow a plugin to control the tempo of other
  plugins.
<<<

Can the requirements stipulate that the host be the multicaster of
tempo/meter changes?  If we do that, though it probably means limits 1
tempo/meter context for the world, the host can coordinate when updates
happen, simplifying implementation.

MODEL 1: Traditional-ish
        [[ What things are missing from this model that people feel are
           requirements? ]]
<<<

I personally would be satisfied if GMPI's model was the best of (VST(i),
DX(i), Rewire).  For this reason, model 1 is mostly it.  The one missing
element is something Rewire provides, namely the ability for a plugin to
"request" reposition events, tempo changes, and transport control.  Note
that this is a request that the host needn't obey.  The Rewire data pump
reports actual position, tempo, etc, on every audio frame, so the plugin
knows right way if its request was done.

MODEL 2: Modular
<<<

I think 1 and 2 might not be mutually exclusive.  If the host is the
ultimate arbiter of tempo/meter/time and multicasts changes to all
plugins, maybe it's possible to build a modular environment.