[gmpi] Re: 3.9 (draft) use cases and stuff

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:33:46 -0700

Koen Tanghe wrote:

Now, before I have all of you kicking me to death ;-), let me say the following: This is the kind of things I expect to see more and more of in the future. It would be nice if music technology was prepared to allow such systems to integrate with existing music production/performance systems using a plugin format. *But* as I realize this is (probably?) a rather exotic use case today for many people, I will not insist on making this possible if it makes the GMPI design too complex or if it slows it down significantly. I just think it's good to at least talk about these things now, so that we all know what will be possible and what not...

After reading this, I wanted to point out that simply because we choose to not allow something to be done using a GMPI plugin does not mean that we are holding back the development of cool new music technology. You can always write a host. I do not intend for this to sound flip. Things that are on the cutting edge in lots of cases are not ready to be plugins. They contain behavioral requirements that are outside of the range of hosts. Just like there are some things that simply can't be done well without altering the kernel.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems