[gmpi] Re: 3.9 (draft) use cases and stuff

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:18:05 -0500

>I'm just working through a pretend implementation of my familiar environment
>in a totally modular GMPI way.  One thing I see is this "progress bar"
>widget, and if I click in the middle of it, the playback jumps to about 50%
>of the way through the track.  It can do this because the sequencer is only
>one, and part of the host.
>
>If the host had multiple sequencer plugins, each with a diffeent sequence
>length, this behavior would not be possible.

but this is by definition impossible: if there are N different
possible lengths, there clearly can be no single answer to the
question of what "halfway" means. there's no magic here, and its
nothing to do with GMPI - you're describing a possibility that does
not exist.

>> but whether it does or not is irrelevant to the receivers of the
>> locate command. they just go to where i told them to go.
>
>Of course not to the receivers.  But if there is a locate controller
>independant of the sequencers, it needs to have a view of the global
>"length" of the project.

as i said above, if there are multiple lengths, there clearly can be
no single such controller. by definition, not because we are not
clever enough.

--p