[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:48:14 -0400

I think the solution point here is a non-MIDI interface between GMPI and
plugins, and an optional MIDI aspect of the host API library, to translate
from any MIDI channel or system message in the host to GMPI for the plugin.
In other words, I think we agree that the GMPI libraries are not only for
use by plugins, but also by hosts.

I agree that having more than one wire protocol for plugins would be a
disaster, and I also assert that MIDI has inadequate semantics to represent
real music.

For years now I have been yapping away about extending MIDI with (a) higher
bandwidth and (b) floating-point data fields in channel messages. These
would take care of 2/3 of the required semantics. Adding (c) sample-frame
timestamps, (d) note IDs, and (e) user-extensible opcodes would take care
of the rest. The only "adapter" required for most existing drivers and
plugins is type casting.