[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: "Laurence Grant" <larrygrant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:19:15 -0500

I hear you all, and some of your points are good and I will consider how to
fit them in.  I still think everyone is getting too hung up on comparing a
corporation to a real-life.  People are assuming this means managers don't
do the fun stuff or that the guys who want to do the fun stuff get stuck
doing the menial labor.

I don't see either of these as the case.  I see managers more like wing
commanders, giving orders to their small group.  For example, I hated
Planetside because you could just run out and grab a new vehicle when ever
you wanted.  There was no one questioning your actions and you were free to
be frivolous with the teams resources.  If you were really bad at using that
vehicle no one stopped you or required you to get training, etc...  What I'd
like to see is all the players being tied to different units within the
corp.  Those units have limited resources assigned to them and limited
weapons and vehicles.  Someone in charge has to reserve the right to grant
these resources to players.  As the unit leader they'll be working with
other leaders in the corporation to get more resources, trade talent based
on their experience with other players, and take direction from the higher
ups.  If the leader is failing his duties, the higher ups will be able to
see this.

I see military commanders within the corporation deciding on the
corporations overall direction, steal, research, discover, politics, focus
on controlling a city vs a planet vs building a space navy or an entire
space armada.  The corporation will decide if they want to build a space
station or a ground facility.  Then they'll have to push assignments down to
the lower ranks to guard these facilities, guard cargo transports (mining)
or deliveries (when buying/selling merchandise).  Other players will be
gunning for your goods all the time.  They'll use certain units for
attacking enemy installations, and setting up raids.  Some units might go
rogue, but if they do they'll lose the resources coming to them from the
corporation and be left high and dry.

Players will side with and join a corporation for many reasons, including
it's well established, they like the players, the corporation has already
done the research and has cool vehicles or weapons.  A player will play to
prove himself to the corp to try and get the better weapons and vehicles,
but a newbie just starting wont have access to all that cool stuff by
default, unless that's how the corp wants it, but if that were the case I'd
be surprised if the corp grew and became that successful.

As the corp grows they'll build new facilities, new bases, conquer enemy
bases and planets, build new capital ships, etc... All this will require new
commanders and new units, so there is a lot of room for growth in a well run
and prosperous corporation, so I don't think things will be boring.

It might be a little less exciting for a newbie, but I think taking
direction from real people and not going solo on computer AI missions will
add a lot of dynamics a newbie never had.  I also don't think they'll spend
a lot of time mining or doing mundane tasks.  I personally wouldn't want to
see it evolve that way, and think most of those tasks can and should be
handled by AI, except when the corp decides it's a lot more economical to
have 50 players mining for an hour than to build 50 resource collectors.
This would hopefully only be done in extreme cases; otherwise people won't
stick around with the corporation very long.

I also see newbie pilots getting cargo type missions which can still be fun,
but not as fun as a fighter escort.  However, maybe if the unit lead knows
the cargo run is through a hostile area he'll want to have a human pilot who
can think and make better decisions than an AI.  The pilot might then
request an escort or get his buddy who is already a fighter pilot to escort
him.  It's up to the corporation if the fighter pilot can just go and escort
or needs to get permission.

Phew, I'm tired of typing.

I do like some of the ideas of letting team mates rate other players in
action.  I also expect to have internal player stats so higher ups can see
who is performing better than another.  What's better a player having 20
kills in battle but having gone through 5 vehicles to do it, or a guy with
10 kills but never lost a vehicle?  With proper stats we can track that and
provide it back to the higher ups automatically.

Anyway, this is what I'm building.

LG

PS: All the replies have been terrific.  It's really good to get other ideas
and learn what people think sounds good and bad.