[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: Roger D Vargas <luo_hei@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:02:50 -0500

One of the problems I see in the system is the individuality inherent to humans.
I have some experience with online games and even when the idea is to collaborate and play in team, it is always hard to find a good team even when there are a lot of players with the same needs (xp, items, etc).
The most effective way to force player to something close to full time teamplay I have seen is in games like Vendetta or Ogame. An alone player is easy prey for players beloging to powerfull alliances.
And this is the only way I see to force collaborative play. Make the environment so hard and aggressive that lonely wolves cant survive.

Charlie Lobo wrote:

Your idea sounds great, but I fear that various problems might arise.
Not because the system is flawed, but because we humans love to break
systems and take advantage of them. Maybe you should start a MUD
experimenting with some of the new social factors, to be able to check
how the system actually works. It'd be easier and of course it'd be a
good game. It doesn't have to be THAT game, but a game where some of
the concepts you talk of are used. Maybe this could be on the medieval
times, there'd still be a lot to deal with.
I don't say how people could ruin the game, because I have no idea,
but then again I'm not everyone else to know what they can think of.
Just a tip, I've seen lots of good ideas fail and be ignored because
they where implemented in a too ambitious proposal without first
seeing what people would do. If it were a simpler project, failure
wouldn't be as bad and fixes are easier. In a MUD you can always add
new things by adding more text :P.

-- Roger D. Vargas http://dsgp.blogspot.com | Linux, programación, juegos

______________________________________________ Renovamos el Correo Yahoo! Nuevos servicios, más seguridad http://correo.yahoo.es