[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: Jeff Roth <jjscud@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:08:34 -0800 (PST)

I kind of thought this too when I first read his
description but I think that there is always one huge
advantage (imho one of the greatest draws of games)
that any game will have over RL, freedom.

One of my favorite games is GTA 3, not so much for the
missions but for the freedom, I can take any car,
drive around like a complete madman, with no real
consequenses. Now the car, physics engine and traffic
are all supposed to simulate real life but its the
freedom that differentiates a mad drive through the
city and my commute home.

Of course, how the game ends up will ultimately
determine its success.

--- Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh my. I have already played that game. I am still
playing it. It is
called "real life". Seriously, the last thing I would
ever spend time
on
is a game that simulated corporate life in the modern
or future world.
In the game you just described the *only* role that is
worth playing is
the role of COB/CEO. I can not imagine anyone being
willing to sign up
to play any other role.

There are many reasons why games are the way the are.
One is that
people
*want* to be self reliant individuals with personal
accomplishments.
The
other is that people with enough scope of imagination
to create a new
fantasy concept only come along a few times in a
generation.

                Bob Pendleton