[gameprogrammer] Re: MMO Idea

  • From: "Laurence Grant" <larrygrant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:05:25 -0500

>In a smoothly functioning corporate entity, there are more janitors than

>CEOs - considering that there would hopefully be hundreds of individual

>players involved in building a single corporation. One of the greatest

>challenges will be to ensure that even the "grunt work" is fulfilling. It's

>like having an RPG where your character realizes, in the midst of fighting

>an ogre and a couple of mad forest bunnies, that he has to take a crap.

>Some levels of realism just aren't that much fun... (not that bowel

>movements aren't fun - don't get me wrong...) ;)

Just imagine a game where you're on a mission, perhaps to rescue someone,
steal supplies or simple recon.  Let's assume you aren't a single player but
10 players together in a single unit.

An hour into the mission you end up surrounded and you are fighting for your
lives, running out of ammo and health, taking damage, and losing ground.

You have the communications officer call in to HQ for help.

Someone back at HQ gets your distress call, and runs to the nearest command
bunker where he can access the mission computers, radars, and long range
communications systems.  This is a real player hanging out at the HQ.

He finds a nearby squad returning from a mission, with a fighter escort.
This is another squad of players participating in their own mission but part
of the same corporation, or maybe a friendly corporation.  He radios that
squad and requests assistance.  He finds that one of three fighters took
damage and needs to return to base.  The other two fighters are healthy and
can veer off course.

Five minutes later two fighters enter orbit and do numerous strafing runs
around your location causing enough commotion for you to get out of harms
way.

This is another variation of multi-player game play that I've not seen in
any other game today. Integrating the finest in FPS, Space Combat Flight
Sim, Strategy, Team Cooperation and a true multi-player feel unlike any
other.  IMHO.