[gameprogrammer] Re: Help with creating height map textures

  • From: "Will Ramey" <WRamey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:50:40 -0800

------------------------------

From: "bob johnston" <bobj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gameprogrammer] Help with creating height map textures
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:13:04 -0500

Can anyone give me some insight on what this takes. I think it takes
tinkering with a texture over and over to get it right. Such as using
blender or paint shop in 50 steps! I am a programmer and not a texture
artist so it would be great if there is a way that I am capable of doing
this myself. I can create the height map and I have a good detail map
and I
can paint the texture but it looks very bad unless it's done right.
Bob
Johnston

------------------------------

I'm not an artist either, NVIDIA has some free tools that can help you
create height maps.

Check out our Melody application and various texture tools:
  http://developer.nvidia.com/object/melody_home.html
  http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

Many of the game developers we work with love them, and we're always
adding little features, etc.

There's a pretty good general overview here:

http://www.delphi3d.net/articles/viewarticle.php?article=bumpmapping.htm

And more sites of interest via Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=nvidia+melody+%22height+map%22

Cheers,