Re: new pre-release available

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:40:42 +1100

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:18:47 -0400
Charles A Edwards <eslrahc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:44:48 +0100
> Liviu Andronic wrote:
>
> > sh>make USE_FAM=1 USE_INOTIFY=0 EDITOR_SPELLCHECK=0 ... e install
> > sh>(6922)
> > returned '2'
> >
> > I have libgimp2.0-dev installed.
>

> Yes thumbs will kill the build it must be set to WITH_THUMBS=0
>
> On further investigation I have found that the issues/s you, I and
> others are having are arch specific and probably why they were missed
> by Tom.
>
> Thumbs, inotify, dnotify and possibly other conditionals will now fail
> on x86_64 BUT ALL will build and work on ix86.
>
> The settings I used for my successful x86_64 build are:
>
> %make OPTIMIZE="${RPM_OPT_FLAGS}"   \
>       CFLAGS="${RPM_OPT_FLAGS}" \
>       USE_FAM=1 \
>       USE_LATEST=1 \
>       PREFIX="%{_prefix}" \
>       WITH_THUMBS=0 \
>       WITH_TRACKER=1 \
>       WITH_CUSTOMMOUSE=1 \
>       WITH_HAL=1 \
>       EDITOR_SPELLCHECK=1
>
> On i586, though I build it for athlon, I can/did use:
>
> %make OPTIMIZE="${RPM_OPT_FLAGS}"   \
>       CFLAGS="${RPM_OPT_FLAGS}" \
>       USE_INOTIFY=1 \
>       USE_LATEST=1 \
>       PREFIX="%{_prefix}" \
>       WITH_THUMBS=1 \
>       WITH_TRACKER=1 \
>       WITH_CUSTOMMOUSE=1 \
>       WITH_HAL=1 \
>       EDITOR_SPELLCHECK=1
>

> Additionally regarding the thumb plugin.
> I'm running gimp-2.7.0 on this (x86_64) and gimp-2.6.7 on the i586
> system and it is my understanding even when WITH_THUMBS can build
> successful it does need gimp >= 2.6.7 or STATIC_THUMBLIB=1 must be used.

Charles,

The *notify problems were my sloppiness, but not, AFAICT, arch-specific, and
now fixed (I hope) in svn.

The thumbs-library matter is arch-specific for static libs, I now know. (I've
never tried to work with a static lib before). I doubt the wisdom of packaging
multiple static libs, and trying to distinguish among them at build-time, so
maybe the static lib approach is best abandoned.

But then we need to figure out how to proceed otherwise. The vanilla
libgimpthumb _will crash_ if reloaded in the same session i.e. the thumbnails
plugin is manually unloaded then reloaded, or is reloaded due to an 'external'
configuration change. And it does not work with multiple clients, so if, say,
gimp itself were using the library at the same time, image details would be
cached in the wrong place, then never found and never cleaned. Even if gimp
devs were to fix their version of the library, I don't want to impose a
dependency on gimp 2.8 or whatever.