Re: new pre-release available

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:55:18 +1000

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:49:34 -0400
Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:31:14 +1000,
> <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>
> > On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:10:58 -0400
> > Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just tried revision 1914.
>
> First of all, do we agree if I say that emelFM2 is only polling for
> mtime change, not atime ? I have my /home filesystem set with "noatime,
> relatime" options in fstab, and I wondered if they could cause any
> trouble.
>
> I have experienced different behaviour using different text editors,
> and here's what I have found so far when modifying a file:
>
> - mcedit will update ctime & utime, but not atime
> - emacs will update a/m/ctime
>
> Using mcedit to change the config file will affect emelFM2 as the
> configuration is reloaded. However, using emacs, emelFM2 doesn't catch
> anything. Furthermore, using mcedit AFTER emacs won't do anything.
>
> I might be wrong, but it seems that emelFM2 polls for any modification
> by calculating the difference between atime and mtime; if positive,
> configuration is reloaded, if not do nothing.

Change-monitoring for filelists involves properties of the respective parent
dir(s), not of individual items in the lists. With the default polling process,
every few seconds there is a check for a new mtime and/or ctime for the dir. So
if the filesystem doesn't 'transfer' a change to an item in a dir to a change
of that dir, then there will be no filelist refresh. Inotify is finer-grained,
and we get reports on content-changes: ACCESS, MODIFY, ATTRIB, MOVED_FROM,
MOVED_TO, CREATE, DELETE, and for the dir itself: DELETE_SELF, MOVE_SELF.

Change-monitoring of the config file involves only mtime, or with inotify,
MODIFY or CREATE.

I forgot to mention in a previous post, related to DEBUG mode: you can edit
emelfm2.h, at about line 176 there's a line
//#define DEBUG_MESSAGES_ALWAYS
Uncomment that and then even if built with DEBUG=0, you still get messages in a
terminal.