Re: new pre-release available

  • From: Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:49:34 -0400

Le Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:31:14 +1000,
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:10:58 -0400
> Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Le Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:12:04 -0400,
> > Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> > > inotify. I'll try an other change-monitoring system (most likely
> > > emelFM2's built-in polling system, since I don't run dnotify or
> > > any userland polling system).
> >
> > Just tried emelFM2 built-in polling system, identical behaviour.
> >
> > Changes brought to emelFM2 configuration file will make emelFM2
> > reload it, take changes in account, but emelFM2 subsequently stops
> > behaving properly (i.e is unusable, won't browse folders, etc.) and
> > will quickly freeze.
>
> I just reinstated into the re-creation process a thread-lock that was
> removed as it seemed irrelevant. That may help.

Just tried revision 1914.

First of all, do we agree if I say that emelFM2 is only polling for
mtime change, not atime ? I have my /home filesystem set with "noatime,
relatime" options in fstab, and I wondered if they could cause any
trouble.

I have experienced different behaviour using different text editors,
and here's what I have found so far when modifying a file:

- mcedit will update ctime & utime, but not atime
- emacs will update a/m/ctime

Using mcedit to change the config file will affect emelFM2 as the
configuration is reloaded. However, using emacs, emelFM2 doesn't catch
anything. Furthermore, using mcedit AFTER emacs won't do anything.

I might be wrong, but it seems that emelFM2 polls for any modification
by calculating the difference between atime and mtime; if positive,
configuration is reloaded, if not do nothing.

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>