[dokuwiki] Re: Proposals for a cleanup on the splitbrain wiki

  • From: Colin LORRAIN <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 23:22:45 +0200

Hi,

OK on your proposals, some points though :

-About the "OK tag" : +1,  I didn't think about using the summary...

-On the "page moving" point : If you can make serverside redirects, that's ok. The move form :wiki to root should not be too harmful. The only point is for individual pages. We can fix backlinks but I see by now no way to fix external links ? However, maybe that most of the pages that require an individual move within the NS structure are just "lost" pages that will anyway not be linked much from outside. I didn't had a deep look to that until here....

-On the NS :
What about faq ? Maybe we should have a more general (and maybe more explicit) :help section (instead of :tips) to include tips, faq, screencast, tutorials.... Maybe should some tips be moved into :config:tips or :devel:tips if they are config or devel specific ?

I still think we miss a more general ns to put in things such as news, releases info, contribute, thanks..... and also to avoid conflicts between some terms like translation or changelog. I did first thought about :Dokuwiki but if we have a dokuwiki.org domain name that me be too much of dokuwiki in one url ;-)

-On the clean up WE :
        OK.
Just for the NEEDSATTENTION marking : Maybe it could be good to have it as a tag or as a link so that we can find easily pages that NEEDSATTENTION [PS: I see that if we use NEEDSATTENTION as FIXME, we can still find pages with it through the search engine...]

-On the guidelines, where there is code maybe an info should be added to indicate what version this code do apply to (As many codes snippet do apply to old versions... Or should we remove them completely ?)

-----

Beside this, I'd like to make a suggestion for plugins, even if a tag makes the point by now, we should maybe add a "status" line which would indicate what's the dev status of the plugin (from experimental to stable)? This would encourage users adding this info to the plugins they propose as by now only few do add this info. And this will ease future cleaning of this NS.

Colin

Le 26 juil. 08 à 09:25, Andreas Gohr a écrit :

      - My prefered option is the last :  a batch way.

As much as I like the discussion about how we could have a perfect
page move tool, taking care of everything. We have to consider that
this tool does not exist currently. As Chi pointed out, the page move
plugin won't work in a large scale installation. Writing a new plugin
would take some time and I'd like to concentrate on improving the docs
first.

OK

0. Tidy root, but for this andi will not have too much work...

That's quickly done. No problem.

1. Crawl each page to clean them up :
- "Move" (perhaps with pagemove... if it's ok) lost content to the
new NS (for example : wiki:recipes:newssystem or any orphan page)

This is what has to be done by hand by a bunch of vounteers. I can do
the general moving on filesystem level but links have to be cleaned up
manually after wards.

      - Rewrite discussions to documentation (as andi proposed)

agreed

- If page is OK, "tag" it OK (So that other people know you've been
there), give a new path proposal and go the to the next...

Again, I don't like tagging pages with OK (BTW: like you I'm not
talking about using the tag plugin). Because this leaves a huge set of
pages with a tag that can quickly outdate. To avoid stepping on each
toes we should organize the big day via IRC. Adding a summary (cleaned
up and moved) should be enough to mark a page as done.

- If page needs major changes or taht you don't feel ok to rewrite it, discuss about it leaving a comment at the top of the page (maybe with a
specific syntax)...

good idea. something like secondlookneeded

As 1. point can be done online this won't end up in too much downtime, I
think...

I do not intend to do anything offline (except for a few server
restart for making the rewrites kick in) everything can be done on the
live wiki (I might add a message about the changes at the top).

Biggest problem are volunteers currently. As long as nobody steps
forward to help, this is going to be difficult. For time I'd suggest a
weeken in one or two weeks.

splitbrain.org