[dokuwiki] Re: Proposals for a cleanup on the splitbrain wiki

  • From: Colin LORRAIN <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:19:34 +0200

Hi again,

First, I'm happy to see so much enthusiasm...

I' ll do 2 posts, one to discuss about the new namespace structure, and one to talk about upcoming steps on wiki reorg...

About the new namespace :

- I completely agree with the 'no deep namespacing' position. However don't take WikiPedia too fast as an example. Articles are all the same kind of info, so it's not surprising that they are all at the same level. If you look at he menus in WP, you'll see that they have Wikipedia, Portal, Specials, Help namespaces and I'm sure you can find more. I not far to agree with the proposed namespaces, but I think we should take a little more time to think about it...

:*  the top namespace for any feature/philosophy/concept/manual
(current pages like wiki:images, wiki:farm or wiki:camelcase would go
here) prety much like the current wiki namespace

My thinking is that the purpose of namespaces is to avoid ambiguities. I'd like to put focus on the actual wiki:changelog page, it talks about changelog file format ! While it could also talk about new release of DW ? If I create a Changelog article onWikiPedia, I expect to see an article, while if I do it on splitbrain, does it relate to DW releases, to a feature, or to an article on how to improve changelog mechanism ?

For me, the entry point of the site is the "wiki:dokuwiki" page, and I think we should keep a :dokuwiki page. Also, we should not mix some pages like thanks, press, what_this_site_is_not and some others with other things on the root. So I think to a Dokuwiki namespace, even if there is only a few sub-pages inside it. I like the principle of naming it Dokuwiki to keep a 'dokuwiki' inside url, just to stay at good place within search engines, otherwise I would have named it Introduction or General (which is kind of ugly, ok) or About.

[ PS (I won't rewrite my whole mail but i'd like you to have a look at it) : If you look at wiki:dokuwiki, you'll find a structure that's quite simple and clear. So if you don't like my proposals, this may be a base to think about the new NS tree ]

config:* here would be a page for each config option from
(conf/dokuwiki.php) named exactly like the option. The contents would
be taken from current wiki:config. wiki:config (now just :config)
would have your proposed introductionary text and a nested list
resembling the current sectionstructure linking to the pages in
config:.

A config namespace seems to be a bit too specific to me... As I wouldn't store feature/philosophy/concept/manual on the root I'd like to create a namespace for these things and also for the config... However I'm not sure about a good common root to all these things...

My mind was to first have a :manual NS in which we could have :
- tutorials
- glossary
- features (not a sub NS, just directly in :manual. If I type :manual:breadcrumbs, I expect to find an help on that feature, isn't it ?), each feature should show a description of it and links to a way to configure it and a way to develop it. Maybe also tips about it. - config (as well if I type manual:config, it's quite natural to read, no ? )
- tips & how-to's
- faq

Maybe, I would also add a Contribute part here or at the root. Maybe better at the root so we can store :Users, donate, irc, forum, translation....

devel:* everything development related would be explained here
(current wiki:devel:* goes here) some content from wiki:plugins:* and
wiki:tpl:* wiki:auth:* should be moved here too.

OK, what about releases ? should go in here also ? And also, this is a big part, maybe we may think at a second level ?

plugin:* as it is now, one page per plugin

OK

tpl:* (maybe rename to template:*) one page per template similar to
the current plugin structure

Hmmm, I think it's ok to rename the page but I don't agree with the one page per template idea. The template page as it is now serves also as some sort of gallery with all the thumbnails, which I think gives a good overview about what templates are available. Some templates are hosted at wiki.splitbrain.org and some are not, for those which aren't this would just duplicate information rather than adding some. I wouldn't touch this part of the Wiki, and just keep
it as is.

My idea was to use the same mechanism as for the plugins to gather
descriptions, metadata and poularity info on from the individual pages
in this namespace. But we can postpone this change for now - it works
okay so far and we have a lot more to do.
OK

auth:* like templates and plugins, but for authentication backends

OK

I'd like to get rid of the discussion namespace completely. Most of it
is really outdated and predates the introduction of the forum.
Discussion should take place in the forum now.

OK