[dokuwiki] Re: Proposals for a cleanup on the splitbrain wiki

  • From: "Andreas Gohr" <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:25:35 +0200

>        - My prefered option is the last :  a batch way.

As much as I like the discussion about how we could have a perfect
page move tool, taking care of everything. We have to consider that
this tool does not exist currently. As Chi pointed out, the page move
plugin won't work in a large scale installation. Writing a new plugin
would take some time and I'd like to concentrate on improving the docs
first.

> 0. Tidy root, but for this andi will not have too much work...

That's quickly done. No problem.

> 1. Crawl each page to clean them up :
>        - "Move" (perhaps with pagemove... if it's ok) lost content to the
> new NS (for example : wiki:recipes:newssystem or any orphan page)

This is what has to be done by hand by a bunch of vounteers. I can do
the general moving on filesystem level but links have to be cleaned up
manually after wards.

>        - Rewrite discussions to documentation (as andi proposed)

agreed

>        - If page is OK, "tag" it OK (So that other people know you've been
> there), give a new path proposal and go the to the next...

Again, I don't like tagging pages with OK (BTW: like you I'm not
talking about using the tag plugin). Because this leaves a huge set of
pages with a tag that can quickly outdate. To avoid stepping on each
toes we should organize the big day via IRC. Adding a summary (cleaned
up and moved) should be enough to mark a page as done.

>        - If page needs major changes or taht you don't feel ok to rewrite
> it, discuss about it leaving a comment at the top of the page (maybe with a
> specific syntax)...

good idea. something like secondlookneeded

> As 1. point can be done online this won't end up in too much downtime, I
> think...

I do not intend to do anything offline (except for a few server
restart for making the rewrites kick in) everything can be done on the
live wiki (I might add a message about the changes at the top).

Biggest problem are volunteers currently. As long as nobody steps
forward to help, this is going to be difficult. For time I'd suggest a
weeken in one or two weeks.

splitbrain.org