[dokuwiki] Proposals for a cleanup on the splitbrain wiki

  • From: Colin LORRAIN <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:31:38 +0200

Hi all,

Since the edits I did 2 days ago, I tried to find a more consensual way to clean up the wiki somewhat. So here is what I'd like to propose :

1. Don't make big changes, review and comment...

- We may think about a way to add comments to pages so that we can review all pages and "tag" them as OK or not, and if not add comments. A review should include a tag like 'OK' or 'NOK' + comments + signature + date. - This is by now done by the FIXME icon, but this should be done in a more structured way. - Why not improve directly ? If some corrections can be done directly, ok, this is the way it's done now, but my example shows that for bigger changes, actual system lacks something. - Some guidelines should be given so that review of pages will be done in a more standard way.

2. Review these comments

- Once all or most pages are commented, hopefully mainly with an OK tag, review comments to have a better view of what can be improved and how it could be improved.
 - Over the comments some new guidelines could be written.
- Also some namespaces could be modified or created to store things better.

3. Update

- Modify commented pages according to comments and new guidelines.
- Biggest part of modifications should not break links, however, when a section of a page is moved to a new page, a link to that new page should be added. - A page that has to be moved should be moved with a special plugin that updates backlinks and avoids dead links (See below for a proposal on how to do that).

4. Keeping wiki clean
- Once this work has been done, the new structure should hopefully help people find there way in the wiki. However, some things could help this : - Add namespace templates where it could be useful, and perhaps include, commented, the guidelines that apply to the namespace where the page is edited. - Disable page creation within the :wiki root (and maybe within some othe namespaces), so that people will have to find the best place for their new content.
Maybe I miss some other tips.

So this is a proposal, I'd like to know how you agree or not on the principle. Thanks for your feedback.

Colin LORRAIN

----

A way to avoid dead links on moved pages :

To avoid dead links on moved page a feature could be added to the versionning system. In the .changes file of a page (see wiki:changelog), we could add a "MOVED" type. When a user come across an empty page, we should look within the .changes file, if it exists, if the page has been moved, and if so, we should redirect him to the new page. Also a 301 header could be issued so that bots are informed of the change.