[softwarelist] Re: !Sprinter

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:20:01 +0100

In message <4f4320b60eray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Ray Favre <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I find !Sprinter tremendously useful and use it very frequently.

Yes, seconded. Invaluable for debugging purposes for anyone writing
software that prints.

> There is, however, one feature of which I sometimes fall foul.

> Once the standard sprite save box appears after the print processing,
> it disappears again if any mouse-click is made prior to doing the
> drag-save. (i.e. the save box acts more like a menu.)

> Is there a reason for this? I don't think it's normal behaviour for a
> save box.

It is perfectly normal behaviour for a save box, but I agree that in
this specific case it is very irritating and not very helpful, in
particular since producing the printout can take a long time during
which the machine is locked up. It is all too easy to click somewhere
while the printout is being prepared and once that has happened, the
output is lost. It also means that you have no means of opening a
Filer window to save to if you have forgotten to do so before starting
to print.

I think the way PrintPDF does it is far better: It opens a permanent
save dialogue box. Generally, IMHO, a save window should always be
permanent when there is transient data to save. Things are different
in the standard case of data shown in a window (say, a word processor
document) because then you can always reopen the save box from the
window after accidentally closing it.

> (But I also seem to recall there was a method of bringing it back -
> short of re-printing - a keystroke or something. Am I right?)

I do not think so. As far as I can see SPrinter deletes the
intermediate file as soon as the save box is closed, so there cannot
be any method for bringing it back.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx