[softwarelist] Re: OvPro and RO 6.06

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:16:44 GMT

On 16 Feb, John Tytgat wrote in message
  <a7361c724f.Jo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In message <fcbd16724f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
>
> > With ClipboardHolder:
> > ---------------------
> > 1 Program Foo claims the clipboard - it is a Foo file.
> > 2 ClipboardHolder snatches the clipboard from it. Now, ClipboardHolder
> >   owns the clipboard, it is still a Foo file but in contrast to the
> >   Foo application, ClipboardHolder has no idea about Foo files.
> > 3 Program Bar sends a DataRequest specifying in the filetype list that
> >   it can handle Draw and Text (in order of preference).
> > 4 ClipboardHolder sends it the Foo file.
> > 5 Bar has no idea what a Foo file is and ignores it.
>
> You're sure this happens for Foo != Text ? As this is not what I read
> at <URL:http://select.riscos.com/prm/desktop/wimp/wimpcnp.html> :
> "The ClipboardHolder module handles the Clipboard protocol negotiations
> with other tasks and attempts to take control of any text (type &FFF)
> files which are placed on the clipboard. This allows the ClipboardHolder
> to provide this information directly to the WindowManager."

I'd forgotten that problem, but I think Martin's correct.  IIRC, this bit
someone recently when they found that they couldn't paste a URL from a
TechWriter document into a writable icon under Select (whereas it works
fine on an Iyonix with IcnClipBrd installed).  This was because TW offers
EasiDoc and Text in that order, and the Clipboard Holder takes the EasiDoc
(the first on the list).  When the Wimp asks for the clipboard contents to
paste into the icon, all the CH can offer is an EasiDoc.  Since the Wimp
doesn't know how to paste an EasiDoc into an icon, it fails.

Here is what happens when some text is copied out of TechWriter under
Select 4.37.  Note that the Clipboard Holder doesn't ask for text in the
Message_DataRequest; it asks for whatever TechWriter's default filetype
is.  The text option is therefore lost.

  Message_ClaimEntity (&00000F) [Message]
  From 'TechWriter' to 'Clipboard Holder'
  My ref: &0000043A; Your ref: &00000000
  20  : 00000004 : .... : 4

  Message_DataRequest (&000010) [Message Recorded]
  From 'Clipboard Holder' to 'TechWriter'
  My ref: &0000043B; Your ref: &00000000
  20  : 1BA039EC : .9.. : 463485420
  24  : 00000000 : .... : 0
  28  : 00000000 : .... : 0
  32  : 00000000 : .... : 0
  36  : 00000004 : .... : 4
  40  : FFFFFFFF : .... : -1
  44  : 00000000 : .... : 0

  Message_DataSave (&000001) [Message Recorded]
  From 'TechWriter' to 'Clipboard Holder'
  My ref: &0000043C; Your ref: &0000043B
  20  : 1BA039EC : .9.. : 463485420
  24  : 00000000 : .... : 0
  28  : 00000000 : .... : 0
  32  : 00000000 : .... : 0
  36  : 00000AA0 : .... : 2720
  40  : 00000D01 : .... : 3329
  44  : 656C6553 : Sele : 1701602643
  48  : 6F697463 : ctio : 1869182051
  52  : 0000006E : n... : 110

  Message_DataSave (&000001) [Message Acknowledge]
  From 'TechWriter' to 'TechWriter'

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/