[softwarelist] Re: OvPro and RO 6.06

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:38:14 +0100

In message <2dc206724f.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - With the Clipboard Holder on Select running, the MessageClaimEntity is
> followed immediately by a Message_DataRequest from the CH.  The clipboard
> contents is transferred across, and then the CH sends out its own
> Message_ClaimEntity.  That is, the originating task does not retain the
> clipboard contents, which is different from how it works on other versions
> of RISC OS.

> Note that there is nothing /wrong/ with the Select way of working: it's a
> perfectly legitimate use of the protocol and will not affect applications
> which /use/ the clipboard.

Unfortunately, I think it does. As far as I can see, it takes away one
fundamental feature of the clipboard: Automatic conversion to a format
the pasting application understands. Compare the old and new
scenarios:

Original idea:
--------------
1 Program Foo claims the clipboard - it holds a Foo file.
2 Program Bar sends a DataRequest specifying in the filetype list that
  it can handle Draw and Text (in order of preference).
3 Program Foo sends it its file converted to Draw.
4 Bar pastes the Draw file.

With ClipboardHolder:
1 Program Foo claims the clipboard - it is a Foo file.
2 ClipboardHolder snatches the clipboard from it. Now, ClipboardHolder
  owns the clipboard, it is still a Foo file but in contrast to the
  Foo application, ClipboardHolder has no idea about Foo files.
3 Program Bar sends a DataRequest specifying in the filetype list that
  it can handle Draw and Text (in order of preference).
4 ClipboardHolder sends it the Foo file.
5 Bar has no idea what a Foo file is and ignores it.

Martin