[softwarelist] Re: OP on Linux (revisited)

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:17:04 +0100

In a dim and distant universe <gemini.k331i300qtmxw02ec.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:

> This is what Quentin Paine has done with Accountz - he has written them
> using a Java interface so that the single CD will install the program on
> any computer running Java.

Yes, but Java is pretty slow in which to run a major application. The
latest Accountz running on an Intel dual core, top-end Apple Mac is still
*much* slower (by an order of magnitude) than Prophet 3 running on an
Iyonix.

Java hasn't really progressed much beyond writing little web applets or the
odd scientific simulation. I certainly wouldn't want to run a major
application in it.

Same as X. OpenOffice on an Apple Mac is a total sloth, compared to
something like Pages (or OvationPro, again on the Iyonix).

Paul Vigay
Editor, www.RISCOS.org

--
Using, programming and promoting RISC OS - the most productive computer
system in the world. Check it out now, and change your view of computers!!

To reply/email, visit http://www.riscos.org/feedback/

How to crash a computer... Install a Microsoft product!