[softwarelist] Re: OP on Linux (revisited)

  • From: Mark Fraser <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:20:00 +0100

On Thursday 26 June 2008 09:44:45 Ned Abell wrote:
> On 25 Jun, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message of 25 Jun, Roger Foden <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Is anyone using OvPro via VRPC on a Mac?
> >
> > Yes.  Works OK but not given it a real thrash; that will
> > have to wait until I get a bit nearer to a total migration
> > to Mac which will then run all of Mac, Risc OS, Ubuntu and,
> > if all else fails, Windows.  But this will need a much
> > beefier machine than my present Mini.
>
> This thread seems to have wandered off topic from my original
> posting. The main reason I started it was to see if a _native_
> Linux version was now more feasable.

I would also like to see a native Linux version of OP, possibly using the
QT3/4 toolkits.

> Scribus and Passepartout are the main free competition. Theres
> PageStream which was developed from an Atari program and is
> commercial.

I have tried using Scribus, but have hard to use and extremely slow at
updating the screen compared to Ovation Pro under Wine.

> However David seems not to have tried his Linux box which in
> my view is a pity as my experience of part-migrating to Ubuntu
> Linux has been very positive.

I have now completely moved over to Kubuntu, there are no Windows or RISC OS
machines running in this household.