[softwarelist] Re: OP on Linux (revisited)

  • From: John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:52:46 +0100

On 26 Jun, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <172079b54f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner
> <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >> posting. The main reason I started it was to see if a _native_
> >> Linux version was now more feasable.
> >So, has anything changed compared to back then that would prompt a
> >reassessment of the situation? Is there any reason to believe that the
> >reasoning done in 2006 is no longer valid today?

> Well, I have fallen out with Windows since then. On a negative note, my
> time for programming is much less than a couple of years ago (which is
> why I've not turned on the Linux machine).

> It was worth asking about Linux. If one wants a DTP package for Linux,
> would there be any reason to stick rigidly to Ovation Pro as it is
> today.

> If someone came along and said "write us a DTP package" and I was
> setting off from scratch, I could do a much better job. Not surprising
> after nearly 20 years experience and in the light of progress in the
> world in general.

> Maintaining compatibility with Ovation Pro for RISC OS did limit things.
> Of course if I'd not done that I would probably have sold no copies at
> all.

Starting from scratch I'd be tempted to ask for a multi-platform (inc RISC
OS!!) product that used a common file format and could import/export with
Ovation Pro. It would differ from the others by being lean but with optional
add-ons and allowed 3rd parties to produce add-ons.

--
        John Cartmell   john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      0845 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
        Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527         www.qercus.com