[softwarelist] Re: OP on Linux (revisited)

  • From: Bernard G Hill <berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:05:19 +0100

Ray Dawson wrote:
John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Starting from scratch I'd be tempted to ask for a multi-platform (inc
RISC OS!!) product that used a common file format and could
import/export with Ovation Pro. It would differ from the others by being
lean but with optional add-ons and allowed 3rd parties to produce
add-ons.

This is what Quentin Paine has done with Accountz - he has written them
using a Java interface so that the single CD will install the program on
any computer running Java.

Cheers,

I have installed OPro on Ubuntu and used it running under Wine to check out if it could be used in this way, but not much work has been done with it compared with the use made under RiscOS. It does work, but I have also used Scribus because it exports directly to PDF for the printer, but the way this program works demonstrates how easy OPro is to use by comparison.

So my choice would be OPro natively under Linux but with direct PDF output. That I would certainly pay for since OP is in my opinion a much superior program.

David has thought of putting the code into the public domain, if I have read him correctly. Perhaps if that happened, it may be taken up by a Linux developer.

I would like to add my appreciation to David for providing a DTP program which is a pleasure to use, and which is productively so superior to anything else. Many others in this group, have pointed out their own delight at the way OP works.

Best wishes to all,
Berni.