[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: Gav Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:42:19 +0100
On 16 Jun 2012, at 10:09 PM, Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <F4D9C026-EF95-4A02-8546-AD7A19E0084F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>   Gav Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Snippy]
>> PDF is your answer.
>
>> I've used PDFs created from OPro documents and converted to ePub using
>> Calibre in the past, and it works fine.
>
> No, PDF is not the answer. (... Fat lady singing again).
>
> A PDF will convert reasonably okay if there are no graphics in the
> document (though compared to the Word/HTML method PDFs are a poor
> conversion method) if however the document contains graphic elements,
> using the PDF method in the majority of conversions leads to graphics
> displaying in the wrong places.
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>
> A recent example being. A graphic, at the very end of a document, the very
> last thing in the document, displayed in the Epub after PDF conversion,
> two pages up from the end in the middle of the text.
>
> Reconstructing in Word and Exporting as HTML and then into Calibre the
> graphic displayed in the correct place.

All of which, would suggest that OPro is not the right starting point. The fact
that HTML and Word documents have a structured layout, with a 'flow' means the
conversion to ePub will put graphic objects in the 'correct' place. OPro and
PDF documents won't have this same structured flow to them, so graphics and
text in separate frames won't necessarily be placed in the correct position.
Maybe the only true solution is to re-create the document in a structured
format in an editor that is suitable.

GavinTo unsubscribe or subscribe goto:
//www.freelists.org/list/davidpilling