[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 16:35:38 +0100

In article <52A14484AC%mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Mik Towse <mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[Snippy]

> Surely, OPro is about 'control' which EPub certainly is not. I find
> using TW to produce a Word doc (old format is fine) which converts to
> Epub flawlessly. (In fact, Smashwords specify Word docs & converts them
> to other supported formats.) For a stress free life, choose the right
> tool for the job! ;)

You could well be right Mik, but there's a small fly in the ointment.

Every single document I've ever constructed (Or converted way back from
Publisher) is in Ovation Pro format which aside from third party PDF
output has no where to go.
AFAIK. There's no TW/EW loader that will import OvPro documents, so that
suggestion is another dead end.

Additionally, I've not found a single app on the PC side that can do
anything useful with an OvPro DDL file. (No! Win OvPro doesn't count).

If I was constructing the document from scratch with Epub in mind, I'd do
it directly in Word, but I'm not...

Similarly, if it's a text only OvPro document I could do as we already do
and Copy/Paste into Word, but there's a lot of illos...

With regard to the stress free... This weekend I've decided it's not worth
the bother and as of 2:30 today abandoned the project.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid