[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:21:46 +0100

Hi,

The originators of HTML had a great vision, a document that could be displayed on any device, from wrist watch to giant screen, but one where formatting was not fixed.

Since then millions of man years of effort have gone into destroying this vision, using tables and so on to give a fixed format web pages. Mostly the people involved have known what they were doing (was wrong).

However there's a lot more people who never got the original idea and can't see why a web page should look any different to how it does on their computer. Sometimes one sees people like that move from HTML to PDF.

These days HTML has been extended to the point where one can produce fixed format web pages with DTP precision.

Anyway maybe the comment about epub now supporting fixed layout offers some hope.

Tiny curiosity, who uses epub why has it passed me by.

More practically, there have been various Ovation Pro to HTML convertors, are we now saying they're all utterly useless - due respect to the authors but time goes by.