[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 04:16:24 +0100

Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>In article <mpro.m5qd8k00cj9hk009w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>   Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I don't see why you keep ranting about the OPro aspect of this; once a
>> document's a PDF it shouldn't matter how it got produced as one.
>
> The point is Jeremy, unlike many similar PC apps, Ovation Pro, as
> excellent an app as it is, fails at the last hurdle, because, using a
> third party application (Thanks Steve) it can only output one cross
> platform file type.

When you say "similar PC apps", do you mean other desktop publishing apps?
Because if not - if for example you mean word processors - you're not
comparing like with like.

Really DTP is essentially a graphics layout process where the graphics are
both images (proper) and the pictures of glyphs.

I do think that your problem is at least in part that you're expecting a DTP
package to export a structured document, which is not a very reasonable
expectation.

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own