[softwarelist] Re: Age old problem

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:24:45 +0100

In article <mpro.m5vl25003qnlh02k4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snippy]

> Lots of sites seem to be resellers of the same thing.  I can't tell
> which is which, or if things are open-source apps with a wrapper around
> them.  This site claims accuracy:
> http://www.wondershare.net/ad/pdf-converter-win-landing.html?

> but there's not much sign of user support.

> Another (unless it's the same thing?) which makes impressive claims, and
> has a video which looks to me as if it is pretty good, is at:
> http://www.pdf-epub-converter.com/pdf-to-epub-converter.html

[Snippy]

Thank you for the notes Jeremy.

I downloaded, installed and tried the "Wondershare PDF Converter" and "PDF
to Epub" converter (They are different apps BTW) with a few different PDF
files, unfortunately, while they both did the conversions, they both, in
slightly different ways rendered the Epub file badly.

Assume a same PDF was tested on both, and with a few different files.

Wondershare, rendered an Epub from PDF and took a correctly set out
document and concatenated all the text into large blocks, additionally at
each new line, the last word on the line and the first word on the next
line were joined.

Example:
Last word on line is "... which
First on next line is "may"

The Epub has ... whichmay
This is not an occasional error, but throughout the document.

PDF to Epub converter, rendered the Epub exactly the same as it is
rendered in Calibre (And a couple of other apps we tested earlier) in that
the lines are broken at all sorts of strange places.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid