[CTS] Re: Ubuntu Revisted

  • From: weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:26:14 -0500

> Ah Joe, I know you're getting senile and so forth <ducking> :-), but
> remember, I'm not that OTHER guy, ok? <eg>  If you follow the link on
> that page, you will find out that WinAmp for Linux is no where to be
> found on the Nullsoft website. :-(  I have to admit that I missed the
> date on that article and that might have raised the reg flag a tad
> sooner! :-)

There is no Winamp for Linux.  You're looking for xmms.

> By the way, I have figured out how to mount the partitions, but trying
> to edit the damn file is another thing! ARGH!!!  tried to edit the file,
> it's a read only file and I don't have the permission to change them. So
> I try the run as..., that didn't work. So I tried to log in as root (the
> all powerful OZ), and it tells me that I can't log on as root at the
> logon screen! We're back at four stars and threading on 3.75.....:-(

Ya, Ubuntu's odd in this regard: use 'sudo' for all your root needs.  I
always start with 'sudo passwd' to set root's password so I can 'su' and
log in directly as root, thus breaking Ubuntu's setup. :)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm