[CTS] Re: Ubuntu Revisted

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:31:12 -0700

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:26:14 -0500, weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx took time to say the
following:

w> There is no Winamp for Linux.  You're looking for xmms.

That sucks! :-(  I found xmms. Haven't played around with it because I
can't gain access to the damn windows partitions!

w> > By the way, I have figured out how to mount the partitions, but trying
w> > to edit the damn file is another thing! ARGH!!!  tried to edit the file,
w> > it's a read only file and I don't have the permission to change them. So
w> > I try the run as..., that didn't work. So I tried to log in as root (the
w> > all powerful OZ), and it tells me that I can't log on as root at the
w> > logon screen! We're back at four stars and threading on 3.75.....:-(
w>
w> Ya, Ubuntu's odd in this regard: use 'sudo' for all your root needs.  I
w> always start with 'sudo passwd' to set root's password so I can 'su' and
w> log in directly as root, thus breaking Ubuntu's setup. :)
w>
w> John

I finally managed to edit the fstab file, and when I look into the
computer thingy, I see the hard drives/partitions, but it says I don't
have permission to view the things!  :-O  We're now working on 3.5!
ARGH!!!  You know, getting online and being able to access the network
has always been the pain in the a$$, but those items were a piece of
cake! Didn't know I would have to sell my first born to access a
partition! :-O Oh, another thing, although the SATA drive is recognized,
and is shown in the device manager, I'm told it doesn't exist when I try
to mount it! <scratching head> Well, back to Madden 2004! (No relation I
don't think) :-)

"I've got some bad news for you sunshine,
Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel"

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm