[ciphershed] Re: Rebranding

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:13:38 -0400

Hi, Luis.  I personally don't like the names from latin or mythology,
since at least here in the US, people go "huh?"

Of the suggestions, CryptLock like names, seemed the best to me, but I
found that they are already in use when I googled.  After the rebranding
release, it will be a *lot* harder to change the name, so I feel good
about this discussion happening now.

There are a couple of ways to choose a name.  One is to have polls, do
user focus groups, A/B testing and such.  I wish we had that kind of
time, but I feel we need a replacement for TrueCrypt out there ASAP, so
I don't think we have that luxury.

A second way is to choose a name, and then be open to changing it if a
better one comes along.  This started as "GeekCrypt", which was what I
came up with in 5 minutes.  Then it was FalseCrypt, which actually had
some support on the truecrypt.ch forum, but some people really hated it.
 Now it is CipherShed.  The best measure I have that CipherShed is an OK
name is that no one has yet suggested one that is clearly better and
available.  Minor changes like CryptoShed or CipherShack don't seem
worth making the change.  Also, people will spell Crypto as cripto.  In
fact, I'm infamous for it!

Given our lack of time, I also tend to put more stock into opinions from
people who do branding, like Alain.  I've run it past three people who
do branding (if I include Alain), and the consensus is "not bad", though
I would prefer that they thought "nailed it!"  Shown the options, they
don't seem to have anything worth switching to.

I think we should move forward under the assumption that CipherShed will
remain the long-term name, but if another name comes along that is
clearly better before the rebranding release, we should seriously
consider it.  I haven't seen any yet.

Bill