[ciphershed] Re: Rebranding

  • From: Dáire Fagan <dairefagan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 02:55:37 +0100

Hi

Should a project continuing TrueCrypt's work not have crypt in its name,
and in fact as the second word? I believe the name should hint at this
project being a continuation of what came before but not something so
blatant as TrueCrypt2 or TwoCrypt etc, as this project is independent after
all. OpenCrypt is a nice reference to FOSS but Open is not a good word to
use with encryption which is meant to keep data locked up tight and safe.

How about SureCrypt? Aesthetically the words look similar, containing three
of the four same letters. Four letter words are solid and strong, four
letters, four corners. There is also an affinity between the word true and
sure, they both relate to certainty. Sure could also be an answer to those
concerned over the warnings from the TrueCrypt devs that the code may be
insecure - we're sure it is secure, it's SureCrypt.

I'm dusf on IRC.