[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:49:37 -0700

> For example I plan on releasing a GtkCAD-viewer for clients=20
> and PHB's,=20
> marketing, etc.  This would allow read access to the data, without=20
> giving them opportunity to change the model.

If it also allowed them to make changes to simple parameters within
the data, like the name of a room in a building, then that alone
would be more significant than you might know. This is a huge deal
for many a PHB, and having a GPL system that would allow for not only
building creation, but later data management, would have *huge*
implications for my industry; for them I'm not just the designer,
but also the 'Shepard' of information for my client's buildings
after they are built.

This would also be a huge benefit for post-occupancy analysis. See,
most Architects don't even *ask* the people that occupy the
building they designed if things are really working out. If
I could set up something that allowed for the every-person
to 'vote' on what parts of the building really work and
which ones don't, I could vastly shorten the feedback loop
in my design process (or even create one where there isn't
one at all now).

Ah heck, it would just be huge!

> I was thinking of this also.  I suppose someone could create a simple=20
> scripting language to create macros.
> If I had time to do it, I would use a compiler compiler such as flex=20
> and bison to create a grammer and a interperter.

What might be better is to look to existing systems, like Squeak, and
maybe add a squeak module that would link to the CAD system, so that
widgets in Squeak could control the CAD system, while running
within the CAD system completely. This I think could work for
two reasons; one, in that Squeak has a very easily ported VM (that
is also written in squeak) that could be integrated into a plug-in
written in C; and two, that Squeak allows for OO programming without
hard coding. Within Squeak, you simply click on any object, and
can call up it's code, interactions, placement, colors, ect. ect.
ect. It's all live, and real-time too, so it could be possible
for non-coders to make sub-plugins that automate content creation/
interaction. Kinda like Photoshop, in that there are 'actions' and
'plug-ins'. Plug-ins are written in C, and hard to make, but can
do a lot and add tools to the core software. 'Actions' can be made by
anyone, however they can't add to the core software.

But I can't stress enough that a scripting/macro add-on is not
enough. Part of the mess that is AutoCAD is due to it's implementation
of Lisp as a scripting/add-on. Having to learn a application-specific
language to simply set up something like a batch plot tool or
automated layer manager only alienates people.

The simpler you can make it to
add to the system, and the simpler you can make it to parse the
system's input/output, the more people will be able to make
tools and content for the system and the stronger the system
can become.

> I'll have to talk to my advisor and see if can release some code out=20
> into the wild.  It is still pretty rough, so not recommended for the=20
> faint of heart who can't program C and write SQL scripts.

Looks like I've got some learning ahead of me. :)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Jeffrey