[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:56:21 -0700

> GtkCAD handles the toolbox approach, by creating design modes.  Each=20
> mode is a plug-in that offers the functionality specific to that=20
> engineering disipline.

Jim, GtkCAD sounds like it's well on the way of becoming a good system.

Is there any way any of us can help?

> For example, my Naval Architecture mode has a "Create New=20
> Hull" dialog,=20
> that guides a designer thru the steps of starting a new project.  If=20
> you open GtkCAD in Architecture mode, the "Create New" dialogs are=20
> completely different.

Brilliant. This sounds, in a way, what I was talking about with
Revit; that is the parametric system can make certain assumptions
about the project on hand, and make changes to the UI/preloaded
objects/ect. to fit; while retaining the ability to use objects/data
from other 'modes' because it's all the same data model. However,
within Revit, there is only a few Modes, and no way to make new Modes.

> This also allows multiple people to work on the same project in=20
> different modes.  Example, the project architect can work on wall=20
> sections, while the structural engineer does his analysis using the=20
> same model, but different modes and plugins.

This would also allow for other unexpected inputs to the project. For
example (pie-in-the-sky thinking here) having a real-time web front end
that links to my project; so that when a project is done a client could
make changes to certain data as part of their ongoing Facilities =
Management;
or when designing a school for kids allowing for a web page that would =
let
the kids suggest designs, or sketches. Or even semi-automated systems,
that would be checking my building for microclimates, solar angles,
bad circulation patterns, or bad color schemes :) and make =
recommendations
on how to increase my 'score' on my design on the fly. Real-time =
feedback.
Or even designing artificial-life design systems that 'grow' buildings,
with the designer as more gardener; training the project to go a certain
direction like you would a tree branch. :)

Once the building is both a data-model, rather than a bunch of separate
little files; and is universally accessible, ala SQL, there are many =
many
exciting possibilities that arise.

Revit makes the building model a data model; but doesn't allow you
to link that data outside of Revit, or have processes outside of
Revit alter that data, as well as containing the data within a
proprietary format; and doesn't let you define new types of objects,
like boat hulls and such. It's hard to do Frank Geary type buildings
within Revit, for it's still very floor-wall-roof orientated. With a
system such as this, you could create custom objects of any kind,
with input from anywhere.

Damn this is exciting!=20

> This allows me to have a basic core 3D modeler that can be infinitely=20
> expanded to do anything somebody needs to do with a vector drawing=20
> program.  And because I use plug-ins, it can be expanded on the fly,=20
> without recompiling the entire program.  In theroy (UNTESTED) the=20
> plug-ins can be in any language, but in practice I write them in C.

If there was a plug-in that allowed for a simpler, reduced set of
expansions, then people would be able to generate simple plug-ins =
without
having to know C. It would be even better if there was a way that they =
didn't
have to program at all!

So, how do I help you out? I've got a Mandrake box at
home; know a lot about 3D and CAD and Architecture and computer
graphics and UI and little about programming. :)

Jeffrey