[cad-linux] Re: CAD with server/client architecture

  • From: Lee Fickenscher <elfick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:16:14 -0400

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:51:54PM +0000, raygr@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Borland's Delphi & Kylix (Delphi for Linux) apps are comparable in speed to
> C++.
> They are easier to learn than C++ especially for those of us who have learned
> program in Visual Basic.

I would think that Kylix should be avoided because as I understand it,
it is proprietary in its own way. I may be wrong on this, but I don't
know of any other Delphi editors for Linux besides Kylix. Though I've
heard that Kylix as an IDE now supports C or C++ to some extent.

> It would be nice if everyone was working on the same project, but if not
> everyone agrees on which language to use then the options are either one
> project
> with a lot of moral but not practical support, or else a number of projects,
> some of which may succeed while some fail for whatever reason.

Well, one of the primary goals should still be the formation/adoption of a
portable standard of some type. That of course would be usable amongst
any projects that would crop up. Also, ideas generated (which would be
the second most important aspect) could be used. The database structure
should obviously be usable. That would only leave the UI and CAD engine
as possible areas of contention.

-Lee