[brailleblaster] Re: Revised frramework for BrailleBlaster

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:43:56 +0100

Yes I agree regarding XML being good when one needs to structure information. One big weakness is its verbosity, for that reason I like JSON for some uses. I haven't actually looked into using JSON in Java, I imagine there must be support for it. However I don't think JSON has anything which would compare with XPath for finding specific nodes.

Michael Whapples
On 03/10/2012 13:07, François Ouellette wrote:
Looks like a good plan.

My only comment would be the use of "properties files", to my view it
would be better to use XML files, which would have a lot more
flexibility in defining structures and dependencies between
parameters, especially if we need to create a model of a document with
headers, paragraphs, etc.

I can imagine the difficulties in creating properties names and values
to describe heading levels, paragraph spacing, etc. The document model
in XML would also be a lot more detailed as a support to the editing
functions than properties. XML structures can be searched with XPath,
whereas java properties require loops to scan a list of text values.

All modern text editors use XML as a support and storage technology.
Java properties were designed to keep key-value pairs only.

My 2 cents.

F.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM, John J. Boyer
<john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is a framework for BrailleBlaster that satisfies the needs of the
three major stakeholders, ViewPlus, APH and the general user community.

When an xml file is opened it will also be translated, That is,
rendered, by liblouisutdml according to configuration and
semantic-action files. The rendering will be in a thread, since it may
take a few seconds for a large document. The translation will then be
displayed in the Braille window.

BrailleBlaster will use Java properties files which are analogous to the
liblouisutdml configuration and semantic-action files to create a DOM of
the print document. This will in turn be used to display and edit the
document.

When the print document is edited, the block of text (paragraph,
heading, etc.) being edited will be dynamically translated and displayed
in the Braille window using the translateString method.

If focus is shifted to the Braille window the Braille becomes editable.
The Daisy window will show the part of the print document corresponding
to each line in the Braille document and will not be editable.

When the file is saved, edited Braille will be copied into the print
document with appropriate markup and the part of the document
corresponding to the edited Braille will be marked to be skipped.

Users can chose to emboss the Braille or send it to a file with Save As.
If either the print or the Braille has been edited the document will
automatically be retranslated (rendered.)

Later, liblouisutdml can be used to render the enhanced print document
according to whatever configuration settings the user wishes. This may
be done with BrailleBlaster or with another application that uses the
liblouis-liblouisutdml transcription engine.

UTDML will be used in displaying the print equivalents of braille lines
and in editing Braille. Files with UTDML will be working files, not the
basic format of BrailleBlaster. However, they can be saved and reopened
to continue work on a particular document. They will have the extension
utd

We will have to think further about how tactile graphics will be
handled, but UTDML will be used for this purpose also.

Additional dialogues will be provided for handling liblouisutdml
configuration and semantic files. Some of the features of these
dialogues will be available only to advanced users.

Braille editing will also be available only to advanced users. The same
will be the case for creating and editing BrailleBlaster styles.
(liblouisutdml styles will be handled in the configuration dialogues.)

When a brf file is opened it will automatically be back-translated and
the translated text will appear in the Daisy window. All blocks of
characters will have the paragraph style. This can be changed by
applying other styles, such as various headings. If focus is switched to
the Braille window the Braille can be edited as above.

Since translation and back-translation are automatic, the translate menu
will be changed for retranslate and reback-trranslate. This will enable
the user to see the format of Braille before embossing or saving the
file.