[bookshare-discuss] Re: summaries of the romance book club and the christian book club

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 13:10:55 -0500

Amber, have you read NOSFERATU by Paul Monnette (hope I'm spelling his name right). It's an old vampiric book, but I found it scary as all get out.

When I spoke of the tragic heroism of vampires, I meant that they have one tragic flaw that will eventually bring about their downfall. In a vampire's case, it's his/her awkward need to replenish their blood supply periodically. Like any ordinary serial killer, with every strike, they increase the odds they'll be caught and (though they can't be killed) they can be left out in the sun for a while, and ... .

So you see, their plight is a hard row to hoe (so we say in Texas), but none of their doing (they didn't do anything to bring this on themselves. Therefore, theirs is the plight of the tragic hero.

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Elfqueen" <elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 12:30:27 -0500

I think the fascination with vampires goes back to Anne Rice's vampire
series, and the movies that came from that. (Especially "interview with a
vampire".)

Some may argue that it goes further back to the dracula book and movie, but I don't think so. I think ms Rice can be credited with starting the current
rash of vampire novels.

Vampires are the classic tragic heroes. They have a flaw that will
eventually bring about their downfall, but it is through no fault of their
own.

Fantasy is not my favorite genre, but an occasional vampiric story is
enjoyable. I do hate stories that rely heavily on magic where every twist
and turn is unpredictable because magic is the indeterminate weapon.

Just my thoughts.

Bob

From: elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: summaries of the romance book club
and the christian book club
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 22:28:33 -0400

The circles trilogy was mentioned at the meeting; has anyone else read
that?
I meant to ask what it was about, but my computer was being weird
too...slow, really, just not able to keep up, I guess. What I heard
about them interested me, because in spite of some things about Angles
Fall (I.E.
the unnecessarily lavish use of language and I thought that a few
aspects of the romance took place too soon in the story and some of it
didn't serve a purpose in the story--but I'm biased there, of course),
I really, really loved the book for its characters and the overall
plot; so I'm interested in more of Roberts' work.
Blessings,
Nicole