[bookshare-discuss] Re: scanners

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <rhod3021@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 23:02:13 -0400

I use an Epson 1660 scanner, which if you can buy refurbished are truly
awesome for speed, and silence, a serious plus in our household.

I also had a HP scanjet, and although it was loud, heavy and sometimes not
to cooperative with my computer, it had longevity, smile.  As I made that
thing work for three years.

I believe the Epson 1370 or 1770 is the now replacement for the 1660

As for OCR packages, I use Fine Reader 7 and Kurzweil version 8.  So if you
are curious about either of those.  Fine Reader is a commercial package and
will put you back about $295 but is one of the cheaper OCRs out there.  It
has a lot of tweaking to make it accessible with a screen reader, but the
OCR is great.

But of course absolutely love Kurzweil.

Been a Kesy user since version 5.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can
spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever
made" - M. Facklam